Silver Staining and BME

zoltan at bcmp.med.harvard.edu zoltan at bcmp.med.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 4 10:09:19 EST 1996

I'm looking for a good solution to an old problem - those nasty
"pseudo-bands" in the 70kDa range which can plague silver-stained
protein gels.  I recently finished off a bottle of beta-mercaptoethanol
which I had been using to prepare loading buffers for SDS-PAGE with
excellent results, and since I have started using other batches
(including a brand new bottle of BioRad electrophoresis grade) I have
had excessive staining around 70 kDa in all gel lanes.  In addition to
trying various brands and batches of BME I have also tried lowering the
concentration of BME in the samples, but I've had no luck.  Can anyone
help me out here?  I would appreciate replies by email as well as to the
newsgroup.  Thanks!
												- Eric Arn
										zoltan at bcmp.med.harvard.edu