Qiagen refuses to tell!

Sam Michaelson sam.michaelson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Sep 4 22:39:17 EST 1996

Keld Sorensen <KeldS at uic.edu> wrote:
>[snip - some whining about students using kits and not knowing chemistry]
>I seem to remember the same whining when calculators where first
>used!!  - I guess I just gave my age away, but WHY is it important
>to mix your own reagents ?

I think there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of the convenience of
pre-mixed reagents, as this often saves time and reduces potential health
risks, e.g. with premixed acrylamide (unless you're a PhD student, in
which case doing everything yourself from scratch seems to be considered
by supervisors to be a good character-building exercise).

I think the point is that if you know what is in the reagents, then
firstly, in an emergency situation, e.g.
you can, if you have to, make them up yourself.  Secondly, in a situation
where results are not turning out as expected, then an understanding of
what's in a kit and how it works means that you are probably more in a
position to undertake systematic and reasonably intelligent

Sam Michaelson