Qiagen refuses to tell!

H. ROYCHOWDHURY hroychow at NMSU.EDU
Fri Sep 6 10:34:37 EST 1996

On 5 Sep 1996, Robert Hamilton wrote:

> Sam Michaelson <sam.michaelson at dsto.defence.gov.au> wrote:
>   Secondly, in a situation
> >where results are not turning out as expected, then an
understanding...snip...
> >position to undertake systematic and reasonably intelligent
> >troubleshooting.
>
> One advantage kits have over making reagents yourself is that if you are
> having trouble with a self-made reagents, you have to consider the
> possibility that each reagent used could be the problem, and you have to
> do alll the troubleshooting. Kits are usually tested by the manufacturer,
> and while they are bad from time to time, all you need to do is
> find out which component (buffer etc) is bad (ie you don't have to
> investigate why the buffer (for example) is bad.) If you make your own
> buffers (for example) you do have to find out why the buffer is bad.
>
> While you can get a bad kit, you can also get bad reagents. It is also
> far more likely that reagents will become contaminated through constant
> use than kit components (at least in my experience).
>
> I thus prefer kits.

The above reasoning does not hold much water. One still needs to find out
'which' reagent in the kit is not working. Again, it is the word of the
manufacturer against the investigator... how does one prove that the
supplied protocol was followed to the 't'?! On the other hand, when I
make my own reagents, I do not have anybody else to blame. That may be a
scary thought to some people.
	The logic behind the contention, that kits are less prone to
contamination, eludes me totally.
	Yes, one can get bad reagents... but, less likely. The same
reagents are being used for other dissimilar experiments by other people
in the lab. It is easy to spot a bad lot of Tris, since more than one
worker would have bad results using it.
	Finally, if the investigator is not competent enough to find out
the 'why' of anything, let alone of a buffer, IMO, s/he is not in the
right profession.

			  Dr. Hiranya S. Roychowdhury
   			  Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
			  Box 3GL, NM State Univ.