?: avoid viscous bacterial culture

martin LEACH leach at bu.edu
Fri Sep 6 12:58:43 EST 1996

could it be a viral infection of the bacteria that are causing them to lyse??

try adding some of the culture to a clean/good culture of a similar strain to
see if their is viral infection

later

Martin

Hiroyoshi Ohba (ohba at rs.noda.sut.ac.jp) wrote:
: Dear Netters;

: XL1-Blue which was transformed with pBluescript derived vector got so
: viscous when cultured that cell was hardly separated from culture medium.
: I guess that gummy material is mucous polysaccharide.  I used Super Broth
: (1% MOPS pH7.4, 3% bacto-tryptone, 2% yeast extract) supplimented with 1mM
: IPTG and 50 microgram/ml ampicilin and the culture was maintained at 30
: degree.  Possibly rich medium has induced production of nongrateful
: material.  This is not caused by the vector itself, but due to expression
: of inserted DNA because same vector with other insert did not make culture
: sticky.  How can I separate E. coli from viscous culture medium, or avoid
: viscous culture, or remove or digest viscous staff from the culture?  Thank
: you for your help.

: regards,

: ### ### ## ##  #  #   #    #     #    #    #   #  #  ## ## ### ###
: Hiroyoshi Ohba, Ph.D.
: Department of Biological Science and Technology
: Science University of Tokyo
: 2641 Yamazaki, Noda, Chiba 278, JAPAN
: Phone; +81-471-24-1501 ext. 4429
: FAX; +81-471-25-1841