Transfection of HeLa cells

Riekeltje Koedood rkoedood at bio.bu.edu
Wed Sep 11 13:13:43 EST 1996

I recently compared MSV, CMV and SV40 promoter/enhancers driving lacZ
genes in HeLa cells. The CMV plasmid won by far (about 40-100 times higher
than SV, whereas MSV didn't seem to work at all). Of course other things
also play a role (as john mentioned), and I don't know much else about
these vectors (was just looking for a good reference gene).

Marieke Koedood
Boston University

jstrassw at OPAL.TUFTS.EDU wrote:
: Hello!
: I can not say which is better because other factors (splice sasette in
: plasmid, 5' and 5' ujntranslated sequences) definately affect
: expression.  We use CMV-based plasmids for expression in HeLa, but our
: transfection comtrol plasmid is SV40 promoter/enhancer B-gal construct.
: I would like to know the answer to your question too.

: Good Luck,
: John

: John Strasswimmer, MD,PhD Candidate    | Phone (617) 636 8396
: Tufts - New England Medical Center     | Fax   (617) 636 6190
: Box 166                                | Email:  jstrassw at opal.tufts.edu
: Boston, MA 02111 USA                   |
:      HTTP://WWW.healthsci.tufts.edu/microbiology/strass/JSpage.HTML
:      *** Co-Author of "HyperBug" Microbiology Teaching Software ***
: Remember, Your employer is eavesdropping...