Silver Staining and BME

Jeff Cohlberg cohlberg at
Fri Sep 13 13:21:39 EST 1996

Achim Recktenwald (achim at wrote:
: zoltan at wrote:
: >
: > I'm looking for a good solution to an old problem - those nasty
: > "pseudo-bands" in the 70kDa range which can plague silver-stained
: > protein gels.  I recently finished off a bottle of beta-mercaptoethanol
etc etc etc

It may be useful to know that these bands are skin keratins, probably
derived from contact of fingers with the solutions or glassware.  See
Ochs, D. (1983) "Protein contaminants of sodium dodecyl
sulfate-polyacrylamide gels," Analytical Biochemistry 135, 470-474

Jeff Cohlberg	California State University, Long Beach