Silver Staining and BME

Dima Klenchin klenchin at
Fri Sep 13 14:19:02 EST 1996

In article <51c8nj$1q6 at>,
   cohlberg at (Jeff Cohlberg) wrote:
->Achim Recktenwald (achim at wrote:
->: zoltan at wrote:
->: >
->: > I'm looking for a good solution to an old problem - those nasty
->: > "pseudo-bands" in the 70kDa range which can plague silver-stained
->: > protein gels.  I recently finished off a bottle of
->etc etc etc
->It may be useful to know that these bands are skin keratins, probably
->derived from contact of fingers with the solutions or glassware.  See
->Ochs, D. (1983) "Protein contaminants of sodium dodecyl
->sulfate-polyacrylamide gels," Analytical Biochemistry 135, 470-474
->Jeff Cohlberg	California State University, Long Beach

Here it goes again! Will the GREAT PUZZLE of MYSTERY BANDS be ever solved?
I vote for keratins, even thought some people swear the bands come from
[bad] bME (wasn't it even published somewhere?).

- Dima