SV40 enhancer activity

Gene Huh gshuh at garnet.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 13 22:34:10 EST 1996

In article <51c79g$rej at mark.ucdavis.edu>, jfh <jfhess at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> My general feeling is that the SV40 enhancer will increase expression of
> 99% of all promoters out there.  Do other folks agree with this? or can
> someone point me to articles or reviews that show promoter elements that
> are nonresponsive to the presence of the SV40 enhancer?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John F. Hess, PhD                     Phone me 916 752 8420
> Dept of Cell Bio. and Hum. Anat.      FAX me 916-752-8520 (ask first)
> University of California at Davis
> Davis, CA 95616                       Email me jfhess at ucdavis.edu

I can think of one example, both from personal experience and from the
literature.  In a Cell article, Gorman et al. had evidence that the SV40
enhancer actually repressed, rather than enhanced, gene expression in F9
teratocarcinoma cells.  This repression activity went away when F9s were
induced to differentiate via application of retinoic acid.  I think that's
how it went, it's been a while since I wrote my thesis ;)

The reference is: Gorman, C.M., et al. 1985. Negative regulation of viral
enhancers in undifferentiated embryonic stem cells.  Cell 42: 519-526.

Hope this helps.
Gene Huh
gshuh at garnet.berkeley.edu