IMHO, BTW etc.

Ken Howe howe at DARWIN.UCSC.EDU
Thu Sep 19 15:51:29 EST 1996

Georg,

I recently became a Netter (person who participates in Network
discussions) and had to figure out what these strange abbreviations
meant.  Here are a few definitions:

IMO: in my opinion

IMHO: in my humble opinion

IMMHO: in my most humble opinion

IMVMHAUO: in my very most humble and unsolicited opinion (just kidding-
I made this one up)

BTW: by the way

BTU: British thermal unit

Of course there are others, but I can't seem to think of them right now.
Perhaps someone else might post a few of them.

Hope this has been helpful.

Ken Howe

On
Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Georg Kroeger
wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 19:08:39 GMT
> From: Georg Kroeger <a03m at biologie.uni-bremen.de>
> To: methods at net.bio.net
> Subject: IMHO, BTW etc.
>
> Hi all,
>
> very often you wrote IMHO or IMO or BTW in your postings. I tried to
> figger out what that abbrevations mean, but none of our dictionaries
> had them. As no one in the Lab has any idea PLEASE tell me the meaning
> of these secret (english?) letters.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Georg

               "You know, it sure would be amino world without RNA"

                                  Kenneth Howe
                     Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
                             Department of MCD Biology
                             University of California