Amp stock survival?

Trevor Fenning trevor.fenning at hri.ac.uk
Fri Sep 20 03:47:17 EST 1996

     Hi There,

     Not long is the answer  - ampicillin goes off very fast indeed (half
     life at 37oC = 18 hours) even without resistant bacteria degrading it,
     so don't kep stocks at room temp, or even in the fridge.

     I keep 1000x stocks made up in 1 ml aliquots at -20 which seem to
     last, although they will deterioate eventually.  If you are using it
     to select for transformants, always include controls of
     non-resistant/non transformed cells on the amp media.  That way you
     will notice any loss of effectiveness early.

     Trevor Fenning,  HRI - Wellesbourne.