Reverse Northern

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Mon Sep 23 13:15:58 EST 1996

Gene Huh (gshuh at garnet.berkeley.edu) wrote:

:> This is a message for Paul Hengen: we lose! (see below)
:
: Huh???
:
:> With apologies to those who haven't followed (or didn't care about) the
:> previous debate on the sense/antisense terminology.
.
snip %<----------  snip %<----------  snip %<----------  snip %<----------
.
: Ummm, with all due respect to your response, I'm afraid I'm missing
: something.  Was there some debate regarding "what is antisense" some time
: ago? If so, I apologize and correct myself by redefining aRNA as
: complementary to the original mRNA.  Or was the above a comment on the
: Eberwein technology itself? :)
:
: Antisensically yours,
: Gene Huh
: gshuh at garnet.berkeley.edu

Gene:

Yes, you are right about the debate that went on in this newsgroup earlier
this year. I don't have the time to get into it again on the net, but if
you would like to read the review of the discussion, see the article in
TIBS covering this topic:

@article{Hengen1996Aprtibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Is there any sense
in antisense terminology?",
volume = "21",
number = "4",
pages = "153-154",
month = "apr",
year = "1996"}

What I'm missing is exactly what a RN (reverse northern) is supposed to be,
and who started this wacky terminology? Is it blotted cDNA probed with labeled
RNA? What is Eberwein technology?

BTW, there is an archive site for past TIBS articles available through my
Homepage. Look below...