Random primed labelling trouble

Michael W. Thompson mthom0 at pop.uky.edu
Thu Sep 26 16:01:44 EST 1996

Jon Nakamoto wrote:

> Oh, I'd love to hear the definitive answer on this one (somebody, please!)
>
> Isn't 220 bp a bit short to be random-primed labeled using decamers? I
> think that hexamers work better, but I confess that we've had variable
> results even with these.

Yep... I commonly label DNA fragments 200-400 bp in length, and I use
random hexamers instead, but I do start running into trouble with
fragments below 250 bp sometimes.
	Sooner or later I have a 125-bp sequence I wish to use as a probe. Does
anyone out there commonly use probes that small, and how do you label
them?