Amp stock survival?

Chris Boyd chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 26 09:46:55 EST 1996

Trevor Fenning (trevor.fenning at hri.ac.uk) wrote:
:      Hi There,
:
:      Not long is the answer  - ampicillin goes off very fast indeed (half
:      life at 37oC = 18 hours) even without resistant bacteria degrading it,
:      so don't kep stocks at room temp, or even in the fridge.
:
:      I keep 1000x stocks made up in 1 ml aliquots at -20 which seem to
:      last, although they will deterioate eventually.  If you are using it
:      to select for transformants, always include controls of
:      non-resistant/non transformed cells on the amp media.  That way you
:      will notice any loss of effectiveness early.

I second all that, and also recommend dissolving Ap in 70% EtOH.  This
has the dual benefits of staying liquid at -20 and being less prone to
lose sterility.

Best wishes,
--
Chris Boyd                       | from, | MRC Human Genetics Unit
chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk             |  not  |  Western General Hospital