arabinose analogues

David Clarke clarke at igmors.u-psud.fr
Thu Sep 26 13:19:54 EST 1996

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there knows if there exists a
non-fermentable analogue of L-arabinose (in the same way that IPTG works
for lactose). Briefly I want to use it to induce expression of a gene
controlled by the ara promoter whilst at the same time using
lactose-MacConkey plates to monitor lacZ activity. It would be possible
to construct a strain that does not ferment arabinose but it would be
easier for me if there was a non-fermentable analogue.

Thanks in advance

Dave