arabinose analogues

Guy Tremblay dk791839 at merlin.si.uqam.ca
Sun Sep 29 11:14:01 EST 1996

David Clarke wrote:

> Hi,
> I was wondering if anyone out there knows if there exists a
> non-fermentable analogue of L-arabinose (in the same way that IPTG works
> for lactose). Briefly I want to use it to induce expression of a gene
> controlled by the ara promoter whilst at the same time using
> lactose-MacConkey plates to monitor lacZ activity. It would be possible
> to construct a strain that does not ferment arabinose but it would be
> easier for me if there was a non-fermentable analogue.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave

I don't think this exists. May be something may be done with cAMP
Receptor
Protein that is required for pBAD induction along with araC protein and
L-Arabinose. May be you shoul check:

AU  - Guzman LM
AU  - Belin D
AU  - Carson MJ
AU  - Beckwith J
TI  - Tight regulation, modulation, and high-level expression by vectors
      containing the arabinose PBAD promoter.
SO  - J Bacteriol 1995 Jul;177(14):4121-4130

I am also beginnig to use the pBAD promoter, in a plasmid vector called
pMPM-A4.
Any question/observation are welcomed.