Mineral Oil and PCR Inhibition

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Tue Apr 1 10:07:17 EST 1997

Dr. Duncan Clark (duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk) wrote:

>> I leave this oil since one
>> month under a laminar hood, with UV exposition every night.

| Mineral oil can go off and the UV is the likely source. I think this or
| something similar has been reported either in Biotechniques or NAR.

: Duncan:
:
: Can you please post this reference?

> Sorry Paul,
>
> I wish I knew what it was but I have definitely seen something about
> mineral oil going off. We still have a couple of PCR machines without a
> hot lid and the mineral oil we use is Sigma Cat. No. M5904. The main
> stock bottle is at least a couple of years old but is still OK and we
> actually autoclave 30ml at a time when required.

What a GREAT memory you have Duncan! I was able to find the articles
in both journals you remembered :-) The mineral oil that this person
left under the UV was probably the cause of the problem.

@article{Dohner1995,
author = "D. E. Dohner
     and M. S. Dehner
     and L. D. Gelb",
title = "Inhibition of {PCR} by Mineral Oil
Exposed to {UV} Irradiation for Prolonged Periods",
journal = "BioTechniques",
volume = "18",
pages = "964-967",
year = "1995"}

@article{Gilgen1995,
author = "M. Gilgen
     and C. H\:{o}felein
     and J. L\:{u}thy
     and Ph. H\:{u}bner",
title = "Hydroxyquinoline overcomes {PCR}
inhibition by {UV}-damaged mineral oil",
journal = "Nucleic Acids Res",
volume = "23",
pages = "4001-4002",
comment = "Add 0.1% 8-Hydroxyquinoline before UV treatment",
year = "1995"}