ppm calculation

The Kindly One smccull at jurassic.fisher.calpoly.edu
Fri Apr 4 22:28:02 EST 1997

Hello,

How do you calculate a ppm or ppb number? Waste management is
giving us grief here about our Tris, NaCl, and 95% EtOH solutions
(among others) having too much Hg to be disposed of down the
sink.

Starting from the solid form(of Tris, NaCl, etc) and having a
known percent composition, how would I calculate the equivalent
ppm number?

Hypothetical example:  Tris label says it contains 0.0005% Hg.
What's the ppm of Hg in a 25 mM Tris solution????

iThanks!!!

sdm

--
** Scott D. McCulloch(Bunny Lover)	| If we knew what we were doing,
** smccull at jurassic.fisher.calpoly.edu	| it would not be called