problem on PEG8000 in plasmid Extraction

Zophonias O. Jonsson zjons at vetbio.unizh.ch
Wed Apr 9 20:19:28 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.970409160528.12817A-100000 at asrr.arsusda.gov>,
mckendre at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV (William McKendree) wrote:

> Your PEG/NaCl probably went bad.  I've been told that the pH "goes off"
> after a month or two on the shelf, but I haven't actually checked.

I don't think this is a general explanation.  As an example I recently
used a PEG/NaCl solution prepared 26/8/94 and stored at RT (in direct
sunlight may I add!). I got the best plasmid yields I have ever seen and
the quality of the plasmid DNA is decent.  Unfortunately, though,  I can
not offer another explanation.

Just a worthless piece of information!

Zophonias

Zophonias O. Jonsson
Institut fur Veterinarbiochemie               Tel: (41-1)-257-54-75
Universitat Zurich-Irchel                     Fax: (41-1)-362-05-01
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich
Switzerland