How are samples loaded into a Phast Gel?

D. KIM dkim at nmsu.edu
Tue Apr 8 16:30:56 EST 1997

I was watching someone running a Pharmacia PhastGel system.  These little
PAGE setups are fascinating, especially the sample loading.  It APPEARS
that the protein samples are suspended as drops on a "comb", which is then
lowered onto the surface of the gel prior to running.  There are no
"wells" as such.

That being the case, how do the samples enter the gel?  I've thought about
this system for some time now, and still cannot figure how they do it.

Can anyone describe the process to me?

Daniel Kim
dkim at nmsu.edu