polyethylene glycol and dimethyl sulfoxide

gc genecutl at mendel.NOSPAM.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 10 17:05:55 EST 1997

In article <97Apr9.133612edt.35721 at firewall.cedarcrest.edu>,
100 at cedarcrest.edu, College at cedarcrest.edu, Drive at cedarcrest.edu wrote:

< I received a protocol for bacterial transformation.  The solution used
< for competence contained polyethylene glycol and dimethyl sulfoxide.  I
< was wondering if anyone knows why these reagents are included in the
< protocol.  What do they do to enhance competence and transformation?
< Thank you,
< Susan Walsh
< sjwalsh at cedarcrest.edu

   DMSO helps to carry molecules across cell membranes.  It's used
   in things like nicotine patches.  PEG is probably there to act
   as a thickener.  It increases the effective concentration of solutes.
   Those are my guesses.

--gc

...doom is like the handle of a pot, |           genecutl@
it's there, know it, have ice in your|   mendel.NOSPAM.berkeley.edu
tea, marry, have children, visit your|   remove filler  from return
dentist, do not scream at night even |       address to reply
if you feel like screaming...   -cb  |