Enzyme storage

David Micklem drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 11 16:37:40 EST 1997

In article <334E62FA.6247 at swansea.ac.uk>, James Harvey
<baharvey at swansea.ac.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Our freezer was left off for 48 hs. It contained a variety of
>restriction enzymes and taq. The Taq appears to be OK but does anyone
>know what effect the raise in temperature will have upon
>the other restriction enzymes
>
>thanks
>
>jim

How warm did it get?  As New England Biolabs point out on every box they
send us (roughly quoted from memory) - 'these restriction enzymes are
purified at 4C for several days to weeks.  After shipping with ice packs
there is no change in activity'

So if it stayed at roughly 4C I'd expect them all to work pretty well. On
the other hand, if it went up to um, say 65C all the temperature sensitive
ones'll be toast ;-)

You could always try them all out....

David

--
D.R.Micklem,                                Time flies like an arrow...
Wellcome/CRC Institute,            Fruit flies like a banana.