BSA purity

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at
Fri Apr 11 04:25:50 EST 1997

In article <334C34F0.482C at>, Tom Webster <webby1 at IDT.NET> writes
>Does anyone know if commercial preps of BSA contain lots of phosphate or
>phosphatases?  Any ideas on how I coould eliminate such contaminants
>from my BSA?
>Thanks in advance,
>Miriam Braunstein

Phosphate by dialysis or desalting column? Can you get away with heat
treated BSA as used in PCRs or for addition to RE digestions.
Alternatively acetylating the BSA should kill the phosphatses. Most
commercial BSA supplied by the RE companies is based around Cohn
Fraction V material.

One final comment don't use acetylated BSA in a PCR. It kills it. Use
just heat treated BSA.

sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.