Semi-quantitative RTPCR

Olivier Gandrillon ogandril at cri.ens-lyon.fr
Fri Apr 11 02:54:20 EST 1997

Hi

This is a highly controversial question. From close to ten years
experience in semi-quantitative RT-PCR, I would say that any REPETITIVE
difference from a higher than FIVE TIMES ratio (i.e. five times more (or
less) signal in the treated versus untreated condition) should be
considered significant. How did yu ensure that "the cycle number has
been limited to ensure that amplification is still exponential"? This
has to be done with EACH new pair of primers. The efficiency of the
reaction is higly primer dependent. A lot of people (mostly old Northern
practitionners) will disagree but I am absolutely sure that in careful
hands, this is AT LEAST as reliable as a Northern blot (some of which
have been made in conditions I would not trust). I guess the basis for
confidence is : repeat ad nauseam, even starting from the very beginning
(i.e. new cells). And don't trust two times differences (what does that
mean in physiological  terms, anyway???). Then you're sure. Well, I am!

Hope this helps.

Olivier