Transgenic and knock out animals

Sandra Pena De Ortiz spenadeo at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Mon Apr 14 09:49:06 EST 1997

Hi:

I am interested in starting a discussion about transgenic and knock out
animal nomenclature.  It was my understanding, and perhaps this is
incorrect, that knock out mice generated by targeted disruption of a gene
by introduction of the neomycin gene to interrupt the coding region of
the targeted gene are TRANSGENIC, because of the presence of the neomycin
gene, and are knock outs, because of the gene disrupruption.  Is this not
true?  If not, why?  Is it incorrect to call knock out mutants transgenic?

Sandra Pena de Ortiz,
Assist. Professor
Department of Biology
University of Puerto Rico