guanosine in agarose

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Tue Apr 15 12:27:33 EST 1997

brett (brett at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU) wrote:

: I thought I'd try uv protecting my preparative gels as per Grundemann & Schomig
: (BioTechniques, V21, p898). Anyone else out there using this method? If so,
: any suggestions on making up a guanosine stock solution (it saturates at ~2.6mM
: at 18oC)? Switch to cytosine?

Brett:

I don't know why you want to make a concentrated stock solution for this.
Why not just add 2 mM guanosine to a liter of 1xTAE or 1xTBE, filter
sterilize, and store it in the fridge? Or, does that precipitate it?
You can e-mail Dirk (dirk.gruendemann at urz.uni-heidelberg.de) and see
what his experience is with it.  I can't imagine using so much in a
mini-gel system that this would be inconvenient to do every few weeks.
Oh, please let us know if you find it works for TBE buffered gels in
your hands too :-)