yeast RNA and DNA methods

Michael Stockelman michaels at uic.edu
Thu Apr 17 09:25:10 EST 1997

Hi!
	I am starting to work with yeast.  My main technical resource is
the chapter in Current Protocols.  I have used their protocol for
genomic DNA extraction, which is based on lysing the cells with glass
beads.  The DNA gave me the PCR products I wanted (up to 2 KB) but I'm not
confident that I could do a Southern with it, from the shearing that I see
in the sample when run on a gel.  What are the best methods for high
quality DNA from yeast?
	I am also doing Northerns soon.  CPMB describes an acid phenol
method for yeast RNA extraction that sounds very good.  Are there any other
methods for this as well?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Mike Stockelman