Removing salt from DNA prep

Rafael Maldonado rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu
Fri Apr 18 14:51:44 EST 1997

>wise at bscr.uga.edu wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I'm doing a DNA prep from sediment from a stream and overall it is working
>well except that the obtained pellet contains large amounts of salt.  I
>was wondering if anyone has any ideas about the best ways to remove salt
>from DNA in solution.  I've tried washing the pellet with 70% ethanol at
>room temp. but it doesn't seem to help too much.  thanks in advance!
>
>Mark

Mark,

Centricon o Microcon membranes is what you need. They are filters mounted
in tubes you can spin in centrifuges (centricon in a big centrifuge,
Microcon in a microfuge). If you choose the right pore size, your DNA
will be retained in the filter receptacle and your salt washed away.

Not relation with Amicon, etc.

Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             | 'No te creas todo
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |  lo que leas en
Department of Human Genetics		     |  internet.'
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |  "Don't believe
Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |  everything you read
Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu	             |  in internet."
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |