Agarose gel problem

schnabel schnabe2 at pilot.msu.edu
Wed Apr 23 13:59:48 EST 1997

John Korte wrote:

> Greetings,
> I have encountered an odd problem, when loading an agarose gel,
> occasionally the sample rushes out of the well.  It doesn't seem to matter
> that I am running plasmid DNA, or genomic (cut).  The gels are in 1X TBE
> with EtBr, we use a standard loading buffer (6X glycerol, from Maniatis),
> the samples are usually in TE.  Has anyone else run into this problem, how
> did you fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> John

I assume that you mean the sample is rushing out the top of the well and
not through a hole in the bottom of the well.  Do your samples contain
residual alcohol?  We sometimes have this problem with DNA purified
using Promega's Wizard Kits if we don't spin dry the minicolumns long
enough before eluting the DNA.  Increasing the amount of loading buffer
seems to make the sample go nicely into the well.

Elise Palmer