Quantitative RT-PCR

Tony Killeen akilleen at umich.edu
Sat Apr 26 17:07:28 EST 1997

In article <01bc51a6$a5710600$7e1ea58b at pit>, "Pierre Tocquin"
<s930486 at student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Is it possible to do quantitative RT-PCR without using an internal standard
> ? I want to detect a beta-amylase RNA from Arabidopsis thaliana but
> Northern blotting give me no results.

I don't think so. PCR -maybe- can be done without internal controls for
quantitation, but the reverse transcription reaction is so subject to
variation that there has to be some control. I recently published a review
on quantitative DNA measurements. It's in the March '97 issue of Clinics
in Laboratory Medicine.

Tony Killeen