Overhang A of PCR

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Mon Apr 28 14:28:38 EST 1997

s.pritchard (mmd280 at sysc.abdn.ac.uk) wrote:

> I read somewhere (cant remember where/when) that these enzymes dont add only
> A's but can add any of the 4 bases and that the preceeding base tends to
> determine what is added.

It is in the original reference cited in my TIBS column on TA cloning,
which is available from my homepage.

@article{Clark1988,
author = "J. M. Clark",
title = "Novel non-templated nucleotide addition reactions
catalyzed by procaryotic and eucaryotic {DNA} polymerases",
journal = "Nucl. Acids Res.",
volume = "16",
number = "20",
pages = "9677-9686",
comment = "TA cloning; A-tails on PCR products by Taq polymerase",
year = "1988"}

@article{Hengen1995Febtibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Cloning {PCR} products using {T}-vectors",
volume = "20",
number = "2",
pages = "85-86",
month = "feb",