blunt ligation into binary vector

ben dekker bdekker at mogen.nl
Fri Aug 1 08:14:00 EST 1997

I'm trying to ligate a 2 kb fragment into an 11 kb binary vector. Both
fragments contain blunt ends but the ligation doensn't work. I've purified
the digested binary vector by isolation from gel just like the insert.
Until now I haven't seen any colonies yet. I've heard rumours that binary
vectors, which have passed through a gel, don't ligate so well than binary
vectors which have not been purified from gel. Is there anybody who can
tell me why this is so and are there any solutions to this problem because
repeating the same experiments over and over again gets on your
nerves.
                                          thanks in advance
                                                Nico Elzinga (Holland)