gel electrophoresis problem

Dr. Peter Gegenheimer PGegen at UKans.edu
Fri Aug 1 19:37:51 EST 1997

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:33:42, dicroot at GIASCL01.VSNL.NET.IN (dicroot)
wrote:

> This is my second attempt in two days in posting my problem
> to this forum: I am facing a problem with 25% polyacrylamide
> urea gel : After electrophoresis, the gel refuses to stick to
> Whatmann 3MM paper. It folds or breaks. It comes off the glass
> plate only when washed with MeOH-AcOH solution, but doesn't
> come onto the paper. I do not have problems with lower percen-
> tage gels (8%) of this sort. I haven't handled this high % gel
> before. Seek help and advice from workers experienced in this.
>
> pradeep at boseinst.ernet.in
> July 28, 1997

This is common with high percentage gels -- the more concentrated
the acrylamide, the less sticky the gel.  If your purpose is to dry
the gel, you could try taking it up on a sheet of wet porous
cellophane.

/Dr Peter Gegenheimer
Univ. Kansas, Dept of Biochemistry
2045 Haworth Hall