Rhodamine sequencing for ABI

Dom Spinella dspinella at chugaibio.com
Fri Aug 1 09:40:32 EST 1997

Raheel Qamar writes:

> BTW Can you guys tell me a little bit about this Rhodamine Kit. I have
> been trying to enquire from the local PE/ABI agent in Pakistan but they
> are really pathetic and have not given me any details. Until now I have
> been using the FS dye terminator kit on the ABI 377. Is the new kit you
> all are talking about the "Big dye" kit that ABI is marketing? And do
> they have label in the Dideoxy terminators? The primers that I am using
> are unlabeled so I want the label to be in the terminators, does ABI
> market any such kit with the Rhodamine dyes? If so please let me know
> the Cat Number and the Price of this kit so that I can tell the local
> agent to get that for me. I am about to place an order and will really
> appreciate it if anyone can email me the details that I need. Thanking
> you all in advance.
>
> BTW does any one have any experience in GeneScan analysis also? I am
> facing a few problems in correctly sizing the fragments using the
> Research Genetics Weber Screening set Ver. 6.0. I will really appreciate
> it if anyone can guide me in this.
>
> Raheel Qamar

Raheel:

The rhodamine kit I referred to in my posting is a dye terminator system
although it is also available in the dye primer system.  It is not the
"Big dye" system that you heard about.  I believe that the "big dye"
primer system may be already out with the terminators to follow very
soon.  I do not have pricing information.  I suggest you visit their web
site which I believe is http://www.perkin-elmer.com.  ABI also has an
800 number for tech support and it is staffed by pretty knowledgable
folks.  You can call them with your Gene scan questions (or to add your
voice to the many other complaints about the damned lane tracking!).
Good luck.  -- D.G. Spinella