Small peptides transfering through PVDF membrane

Laszlo Bako bako at
Sat Aug 2 12:58:58 EST 1997

In article <33E1DB3C.6999 at>, Michael Riehle
<mriehle at> wrote:

> Hello,
>    I am trying to transfer a small peptide (2-5kD) onto a PVDF
> membrane.  Included in the gel is a lane contained the peptide which the
> AB was raised againts (2kD).  However this band does not appear on the
> membrane when transfered at 80V for 90 minutes.  Larger proteins are
> seen in the experimental lanes (15-35 kD), but nothing smaller.  We have
> speculated that the small peptides might be transfered completely
> through the membrane.  Has anyone had any experience with this or run
> into a similar problem?
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hi Mike,

You might want to have a look at the paper of Nishi et al.,
Anal.Biochem.227,401-402 (1995). They used gelatine precoated PVDF
mambrane and short transfer time to capture small peptides. It's worth a