Detecting a one base deletion with SSCP or a PAGE?

Wolfgang Schechinger wgschech at
Sun Aug 3 16:11:28 EST 1997

Hi, experts, hallo Bini!

In order to distinguish two plasmids that only differ in a one base
insert, I thought of using either a sequencing gel or performing a
single strand conformation polymorphism analysis.

The Details: I got a plasmid where I inserted one base using a PCR
point mutation protocol followed by digestion of the template with
DpnI and ligation/transformation of the remining mutated plasmid
Since I mutated five somewhat different
plasmids I'm looking for a simple and fast detection method, i.e. I
don't want to transfect all five plasmids (of each there might be 10
different minipreps to be sure to get a positive clone) to 293 cells
to see in a western blot if I get the right proteins.

It is possible to cut out a segment of about 400-800 bases where this
inserted base is located.

Thus, I thought of running the digests on a sequencing gel or on an
acrylamid gel after separating the strands. Might I see the one base
difference for sure? What method should I prefer?
A negative and a positive control is available (the unmutated

Any comments are

Thanks and Cheers,

Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen
email: wgschech at

!Junk mail is *not* appreciated!
SPAMs will be answered automatically by sending my 128MByte virtual memory file.
This is *NO* joke.