PCR DIG-labeling Southern probes

SVLUsagi2 svlusagi2 at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 13:31:40 EST 1997

I have a 514-bp insert in a pUC12, 2,680-bp, plasmid that I use as a DNA
probe for a Southern blot against rabbit genomic DNA.  I have started
using Boehringer-Mannheim's PCR DIG-labeling synthesis kit for
digoxigenin-labeling of this probe.  Is it better for me to cut out the
514-bp insert from the plasmid
(using Pst I), gel purify it, then use this as the DNA template for the
PCR DIG-labeling reaction, or can I just use the whole plasmid as the DNA
template?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.