Cerium oxide treatment of ABI gels

Max V Myakishev max at scientist.com
Tue Aug 5 11:20:11 EST 1997

DETAILS:
There are two problems which I believe are caused by the fatty spots
on the ABI glass plates. The problems are: it becomes more difficult to
pour
the gels, and
the upper gel border moves up during pre-heating of the gel and fills
some of
the wells with the gel.
I have nice experience with polishing the glass plates with Cerium Oxide
(Acros organics 19912-5000 or Sigma C8877). I use Cerium oxide powder,
tap
water and kimwipes to polish our P32 gel plates,
and this treatment removes all the fatty spots very well.

The QUESTIONs:
Do you have experience with Cerium oxide polishing of the ABI plates?
What reagent do you use to remove fatty spots from the gel?
Have you meet such a problem that some wells on the ABI gel are filled
with the gel before you load the samples?

Thank you!

Max
--
Max V Myakishev, Ph.D.