beta-mercaptoethanol and transfromation

David R. Johnson johnson at
Thu Aug 7 06:25:31 EST 1997

> > > Can I know the role of beta-mercatoethanol in trasformation of E.coli?

   (Yes Geetha, if I knew, I would certainly tell you the role...)
   According to GIBCO/BRL literature, transformation of DH5 cells is not increased by addition of
beta-mercatoethanol, so any hypotheses about how it works could be formulated or tested with this in
mind.  I second the recommendation of the Hanahan (the DH of DH5) paper on transformation techiques.
   -Dave Johnson