Questions on Daltons and ELISA

Pascal Mertens Pascal.Mertens at fundp.ac.be
Fri Aug 8 08:12:09 EST 1997

In article (Dans l'article) <5sdv82$h55$1 at nntp.ucs.ubc.ca>,
dcwong at unixg.ubc.ca (Donald Chun Kit Wong) wrote (écrivait) :

> I have two question. First, can anyone tell me the relationship between
> daltons and grams. Can one calculate one from the other?

1 mole (6 x 10E23 molecules) of a N daltons molecule weights N grams.

> Second, when coating a plastic microtiter plate with antibodies, will
> only the Fc portion of the antibody bind to the plate, or only the F(ab)
> portion, or all parts of the antibody equally?

Coating is a non-specific adsortion to the plastic. So, parts of the Ab
binded to the plates are probably equally distributed on the surface of
the molecule.

>Illustrations from
> companies, texts and review articles always show only the antibodies
> bound by the Fc portion. But never mention if other portions of the
> antibody can bind also.

It's probably shown that way because Ab are not directly coated to the
plate, but are binded to coated Protein G or Protein A.

Hope this helps
Pascal

--
Pascal Mertens
Laboratoire d'Immunologie et Microbiologie