Quick PCR ques.

harald at mol.univie.ac.at harald at mol.univie.ac.at
Thu Aug 14 16:44:02 EST 1997

In article <5ssrkc$6s0$1 at netnews.upenn.edu>, dcarpio at mail1.sas.upenn.edu says...

>I'm having a few problems with my PCR protocol, and I've heard that
>having *too many* dNTPs can inhibit the reaction.  I was wondering what the
>reason for that would be.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Dave

Hi, Dave!

This is straightforward to answer: a high dNTP concentration inhibits Taq
polymerase. You could have a look at the

Current Protocols in Molecular Biology (CPMB) supplement 30 page 15.1.8
(1995 John Wiley & Son Inc.)

or if you have no access to them I will fax you this page.

Actually, I thought as many other that a high dNTP excess will favour the reaction.
However, this is NOT true.

hope this helps, Harald