DNA Analysis Software for UNIX

Dom Spinella dspinella at chugaibio.com
Fri Aug 15 10:52:33 EST 1997

Does anyone have any recomendations for a good, user-friendly DNA
sequence analysis package that runs on a UNIX server (Silicon Graphics
box)?  We have the entire GCG suite, but it is the least intuitive
software I have ever used and it simply doesn't meet our needs.  We are
particularly interested in being able to perform BLAST searches in batch
mode (hundreds to thousands of sequences at once) on our own server
(which mirrors the public databases), although all the usual processes
such as restriction mapping, protein translation, etc. will be needed as
well.  I know a number of new companies are offering "solutions" such as
Pangea and MII.  Anyone out there from a Genome center, genomics
company, or other high-throughput sequencing operation have any
experience with these?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.  -- Dom Spinella