Help: SP6/T7 specificity

Peter Schuchert schuchert at ubaclu.unibas.ch
Fri Aug 15 17:52:01 EST 1997

How specific are SP6 and T7 RNA polymerase concering the other
promoter sequences?

I use RNA trancripts as in situ probes, generated from an cDNA
with flanking T7 and SP6 promoters. The antisense probe gives
me a very strong signal in the expected cell population. However,
also the sense probe gives a signal in the same cells, although
much much weaker.
I inerpreted this that by generating my sense probe with SP6,
also some transcripts are formed from the T7 site and producing.

Has anyone made similar observations?

Dr. P. Schuchert
University Hospital INSEL
Dept. Gastroenterology,  MEM-B814
CH-3010 Bern Switzerland
Tel 0041 31 632 84 92    Fax 0041 31 632 96 65
http://www.unibas.ch/dib/zoologie/research/schuch.html