What is inverse PCR?

Ulf Andersson ulf at zoofys.su.se
Fri Aug 15 08:15:40 EST 1997

As far as I know, I believe it is when your primers are "inversed", for
example: if you run an inverse PCR on vector, you will, with both primers,
amplify the whole vector. It is useful when you do deletions; then you can
introduce a unique restriction site in your primers. After the PCR, you
digest with the restriction enzyme, ligate and transform. Also useful when
you're screening transgenes, because the constructs are very often
introduced as concatameres and inverse primers will then generate a
discrete product.
   Not a very good explanation... but better than nothing at all I hope.

/ulf.