intron splice-junctions software

Jill Kellogg jkellogg at epitope.com
Mon Aug 18 18:53:03 EST 1997

Dear Els,

MacVector will do this of course and much more.  One thing about plant introns
is that a splice site is not enough to determine if a splice will occur or not.
AT rich regions are preferentially spliced our, so introns can be generally
located buy analyzing the base composition of the sequence.  (See the paper, "3'
Splice Site Selection in Dicot Plant Nuclei Is Position Dependent", by Lou,
McCullough and Schuler, in Molecular and Cellular Biology, Aug 1993, p. 4485-
4493.) MacVector will also perform base composition analysis.  Sorry, but I am
not familiar with non-Mac software if that is what you are looking for.  There
is a great little journal called Biotechnology Software and Internet Journal
which does regular reviews of Mol Bio/Biotech software for both Non-Mac's and
Mac's.  See if anyone you know gets it, and has back copies.

Good luck finding you introns,

Jill Kellogg
Research Associate
Agritope, Inc