hot-start PCR

Marc Champagne M.Champagne at
Thu Aug 21 10:10:55 EST 1997

In article <33FB598C.774D at>, Susan Hogarth
<sjhogart at> wrote:

> Marc Champagne wrote:
> > I've found that with most primer sets i can
> > decrease my spurious bands by simply mixing my reactions at room
> > instead of on ice, and by starting each PCR run with a 2 min at 94
> Why does mixing at RT help?
> --
> Susan
> "We have politics.  We just haven't offended each other with it yet.
> Religion works just fine." --oTTo--

I don't know why for sure, but my guess is that by putting your primers and
template at low temperatures (0-4 C), you give those a chance to anneal more
than at RT (22-25 C), creating more spurious bands.

Mon pays ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver (Vigneault).

Pls remove -nospam- from my address if you reply by e-mail