Tube opener

Mark Solomon Mark.Solomon at Yale.edu
Fri Aug 22 14:37:45 EST 1997

:
: Shiao Y. Wang <sywang at whale.st.usm.edu> wrote in article
: <33FCA53F.F8C at whale.st.usm.edu>...
: > When opening microcentrifuge tubes with my thumb, I find it difficult to
: > avoid touching the inner seal on the lid of the tube. I have not been
: > able to locate a supplier of tube openers in the U.S. USB no longer sell
: > them. I've ckecked with Fisher, VWR, Robbin Scientific, etc. Does anyone
: > know of a supplier in the U.S.? If none could be found, I'm thinking
: > about asking our fabrication center to make some using aluminum (so that
: > it can be sterilized or made RNase free by baking). Making several at
: > one time would be cheaper. Anyone else interested?
: >
: > --
: > Shiao Y. Wang
: > University of Southern Mississippi
: > sywang at whale.st.usm.edu
: >

Give Kew Scientific a try.  They're in Columbus, Ohio, at (614) 231-3685,
or at least they used to be.  Five years ago I bought a number of their
"popper toppers" (about $1 each, at most), which we stil use.  They're a
little flexible, which I've found makes them much easier to use than other
models I've tried (though it's hard to beat the good old ejector
approach).

Mark Solomon
Yale University