Automated sequencer maintenance?

Shiao Y. Wang sywang at whale.st.usm.edu
Mon Aug 25 00:43:19 EST 1997

I'd like some insight concerning what is involved in having an automated
DNA sequencers. I've done lots of manual sequencing but have never seen
an automated sequencer in person. I hear general comments from friends
that I would need someone dedicated to running and maintaining the
sequencer. I've also read comments in this newsgroup that one brand or a
particular model is easier to maintain than another. When I ask
manufacturers they all say their sequencer is easy to use, easy to
maintain, etc. I'm still in the dark about this.

Can someone with experience tell me what needs to be maintained? Are
there many mechanical parts that need to be kept clean, calibrated or
something like that? Would I need a dedicated person to run the
sequencer? Recommendations of particular models would also be
appreciated.

Thank you.

--
Shiao Y. Wang