Automated sequencer maintenance?

H. Allen Sylvester asylvest at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Mon Aug 25 10:14:32 EST 1997

Dear Shiao,
	There is almost no user maintenance required for the Pharmacia
ALFexpress.  We have had one since last October and are very happy with
it.  It is used by a scientist (me) with no previous sequencing
experience and a technician for another scientist.  You should be able to
learn to use the sequencer yourself with no trouble.
	An important question for you to answer is how many samples will
you be wanting to run.  The ALFexpress is very suitable for the number of
samples we want to run.  We have more of a bottleneck with access to PCR
machines for sample prep.  However, it is not a machine for a core
facility with HEAVY use and the resources for a dedicated tech.
Allen
H. Allen Sylvester, USDA, ARS, Honey Bee Lab, Baton Rouge, LA