Automated sequencer maintenance?

Marc Goldstein magoldstNOSPAM at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 25 07:48:21 EST 1997

Shiao,

sequencer depends on the brand and the level of use to which the
instrument is put. I work for Pharmacia Biotech's sequencing group, and I
can tell you that our ALFexpress sequencer requires only a change of
water every 3 months, water level check before each run, and once or
twice per year, a change of dust filters (less than $100). Laser
alignment can be checked yearly but rarely requires adjustment. The only
moving parts in our system are a few fans, a water pump, and a mirror
alignment motor. None of these typically require service of any sort.

No dedicated user is needed with our instrument, since it requires just a
few hours training.

As I work for Pharmacia I can't provide any sales information here other
than to directly answer your questions, but please feel free to ask for
additional information or references by direct email.

Sincerely,

Marc A. Goldstein, Ph.D.
Pharmacia Biotech, Inc.
magoldst at ix.netcom.com