MAPK consensus sites

Jim Woodgett jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 28 15:08:09 EST 1997

In article <34058E89.1554 at lmb1.rug.ac.be>, wim vanden berghe <
wimvdb at lmb1.rug.ac.be> writes:

> Does anybody know where I can find information on the consensus sequences
> used as phosphorylation sites for kinases in general, especially MAP
> kinases? Does there exist software to screen for consensus
> phosphorylation patterns in protein sequences?

In general the conventional MAPKs (Erk1/2) prefer PXSP (or PXTP).

The p38 and SAPK/JNK MAPKs are distinct and don't require an upstream proline.
Comparison of their preferred sequences isn't particularly revealing since
these kinases determine their physiological substrates in large part through
interaction domains which are physically distinct from the phosphorylation
sites (as in Jun, ATF2 etc.).

There is an algorithm termed Prosite <http://expasy.hcuge.ch/sprot/
prosite.html> which will collate motifs in a sequence including certain
phosphorylation sites.  However, its value is questionable for this purpose as
local consensus is a small part of kinase/substrate recognition and few
consensus motifs are included (PKA, PKC, CKII etc.).

Bruce Kemp wrote an article for TIBS on kinase consensus sites which although
being a few years old is still very useful:  TIBS 19, 440-444 (1994).

Jim Woodgett

Do you have a lab homepage?  If so submit the URL for inclusion in the lab
directory at http://kinase.oci.utoronto.ca/labdirect.html
For more information mailto:jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca